Accidents in Public Places

Accidents in public places happen all the time. Most people have probably tripped on a loose kerb in the street or slipped on a wet floor in a shop, most of the time without injury.

However, if you have suffered an injury following an accident in a public place, which was not your fault, you may be able to claim compensation for injuries and expenses incurred as a result of the accident, including lost earnings.

Public places can include the highway (road and pavements), parks, playgrounds, shops, shopping centres, sports centres or any other buildings with public access.

BRM have won compensation in hundreds of cases for people who have slipped, tripped or fallen on uneven or defective ground or due to obstacles and dangerous objects being left in public thoroughfares.

If you have hurt yourself and injured yourself in an accident in a public area, it will help your solicitors in any claim for compensation if you can:

  • Get details of any witness(es) to the accident
  • Take photographs of the scene of the accident, for example, if you tripped on a broken pavement, take a picture of the defect in the pavement as well as the surrounding road (a mobile phone camera should be adequate if you can't access a camera)
  • Take a photo of your injury after the accident as the appearance of the injury may improve or get worse over time making it difficult to accurately assess any claim you may have.

If you have been injured in an accident in a public place and you think you may be entitled to claim compensation for your injury, contact our accident claim specialists for further advice.